Monday, July 21, 2008

Preacherman Isidore Womack "I've Got Power In My Mind / Every Time I Think Of You"


Perhaps not gospel in the most traditional sense, but no less moving. Isidore Womack testifies in his own unique way. Real talk for grown ups about struggle in life and love. The music and the message are stripped down with nothing to hide. Funky, Bluesy, Powerful. You can feel the anguish in Womack's voice as he confesses "She don't give a damn about me" or states point blank "Every time I think of you, baby / You come around telling me that same old lie / You is not my everything in my life".
But Brother Womack keeps his head up: "I've got power in my mind / I've got loving in my heart...All love goes to my God." Preach on...

These two sides were recorded in 1978 at Alpha Audio on Broad Street in Richmond. The story goes that the Preacherman would routinely pop into local record shops peddling his self-released 45. Apparently, he had some lofty expectations as to where his career was headed. In a perfect world, maybe this single would have gone places, but some 30 years later we can at least give Mr. Womack his due for creating these wonderful songs and wish him peace wherever he may be.

Preacherman Isidore Womack "Ive Got Power In My Mind"

Preacherman Isidore Womack "Every Time I think Of You"

1 comment:

jerome green said...

Hi Funky Virginia,

Thank you. Real Feeling emanates from these sides. It's amazing how much music throughout the ages has little or no feeling compared to something like Preacherman.

Peace, Jerome